Wednesday 4 March 2009

Who am I? And Who are you?

"Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth would care to know my name, would care to feel my hurt?"
Sometimes I take it for granted just exactly how amazingly fortunate I am.
I've been contemplating a few things over the past few days. Mainly about the nature of God, and who I see him as, and whether the way i've always thought of God is actually right or not. Maybe I have been too easy on myself, making excuses and using the age old 'God Loves Me' line to explain away everything. As much as this is the essential truth, when everything else is stripped away. Maybe i'm abusing it, and letting that truth outweigh my actions. Explaining my behaviour away by saying 'it's ok, God loves me anyway'. So in that way, i'm challenging myself this week. To not just justify things in that way anymore. To be accountable to myself and to God for the things that I do and say. Its flippin hard work though. And this Purpose Driven Life thing is a lot harder than i first thought it was going to be. I had kind of thought it would be a nice wee bible study thing for Lent, that would encourage me and make me feel good. But its been challenge after challenge. Not that its a bad thing at all, because obviously I needed that challenge. But it feels like everytime i'm picking myself up and dusting myself off, the next days truck comes and smacks me in the face. But on the other hand it's been amazing too. It's prompted conversations with people that I never thought could happen, its opened up ideas that i had never considered. But at the same time its helped me to realise that you don't always have to agree with everything somebody says to find it useful. I don't agree with a heap of the stuff that Mr. Warren says in his book, but that can be an amazing challenge in itself, and i'm thankful for that.

No comments: