Tuesday 17 March 2009

Necessary for Salvation?

I have been thinking a lot about Baptism in the past few weeks, and have probably annoyed everyone going on about it. But some of the arguments regarding it, really get me angry! In most ways, i think the idea of Baptism is lovely, and can be a really blessed experience. But at the same time, I don't agree with the idea that it is an essential part of being a Christian.

In a lecture a few weeks ago, someone said that being physically baptised makes us acceptable to God, and its the only way for us to enter heaven. Suggesting that Baptising infants was a way in which to make them acceptable to society and to God, no matter what their background. The thing is...noone is unable to come to God, regardless of their circumstance or however troubled their past. The idea that the only way to heaven is through physical baptism is not something that I can get my head around. The God that I know and love doesn't ask for such things.
If we think of things in that way, Most of the people in the Salvation Army are unacceptable to God, and no matter what they do (apart from being Baptised)they cannot enter the kingdom of heaven.
WHAT?! In no way would God require such a ritual for our Salvation. Surely Salvation is about our personal relatonship with God and our faith in him? We are saved by God's grace and love alone, not by a ritual act performed by a human being.
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I disagree with Baptism, I just don't feel that it is essential in making us Christians. I think, for some people, the act of Baptism can be an amazing experience that can bring someone closer to God and can enrich their relationship with him. But does that mean that it is the only way for us to get close to God?

It seems clear to me that Baptism is not just a physical act. I have been baptised in the Holy Spirit, and in that way have been made right with God. In this way I don't think God necessarily asks us for any outward symbols of his grace within us. But if that is what inspires us, then he will gladly accept our offering of worship.

No comments: