Thursday 23 April 2009

It's not what you wear...It's what you DO!

Well, well...its April (almost May) and I haven't blogged for ages. Its taken me ages to decide to blog about this, cause I know it can be such a touchy subject. I'm going to try and get my thoughts out...but by no means is this my full opinion, it is subject to change. And no offence is meant!

I want to tell you a wee story...
My Dad is a committed Christian, who was miraculously saved a wee while before I was born. Ever since then, he has attended the Army in Inverness regularly, and is a valuable member of the Corps. When I was in Inverness over the Easter break, I overheard him talking to one of the retired officers that attends the corps and she was asking him why he hadn't been in the meeting the week before. This baffled my Dad, because, to his knowledge he had been there. Then something occured to him...he hadn't worn his uniform (it was at the dry cleaners). So he said, 'Oh I was here, I was sat right behind you, I just wasn't wearing my uniform'. And she replied 'Oh that's probably why I didn't notice you then'.

To be honest, I was horrified. I don't think, for a minute that she meant it in that way at all...but still she made it sound like the fact that he hadn't worn his uniform made him fade into the background in her eyes!

Some people seem to have the attitude that, basically if you don't wear uniform, then you are invisible. You're nothing. You don't matter and have no significance whatsoever. Well, wait a flippin minute...thats plain ridiculous! Jesus came to save the whosoever...not those who are wearing the right outfit!In the past I have had major issues surrounding uniform, mainly for that specific reason. I hate the idea of seperation, and the fact that some people will treat others differently just because of the fact that they aren't wearing uniform. Don't get me wrong, not everyone is like that, and the vast majority aren't. But more people than we would like to admit, probably pass some form of judgement on others in relation to this 'issue' of uniform. I have been guilty of it in the past, and in some ways probably still am, but on the reverse side, unintentionally.
I used to hate it when people said 'Its whats on the inside that counts...' but really if we applied that to our Corps, they'd probably be happier places to be on the whole. By no means am I saying that we would be a perfect church if we stopped caring about uniform, but you know what I mean.

I think uniform in itself has a place. It makes us, as the Salvation Army, clearly visible when in a public place. It makes us stand out from the crowd...gives us unity etc...But on the other hand there is also unity in diversity.

As Christians we need to reconcile the idea's of discipleship found in the bible, with the ideas that some people have about wearing uniform etc...
We are called to be people of God, to praise and worship him. Its not ALL about membership. Although I have to admit, I like the idea of making promises to God, and endeavouring to live your life in that way. Its just that...wearing a certain outfit doesn't make you a better person, it can just change the outward appearance.

The thing is, on the whole I am not against uniform in anyway (surprising after the massive rant i know..) I just don't want it to be something we abuse, or use to gain power or to put someone else down. Or a way of controlling people, or trying to change people's personalities. We don't have to 'fit in' with the 'norm' to be the people of God. He want us to maintain our individuality and use that diverse aspect of ourselves as his people to spread the gospel, and invite others to share in the joy of being one of his followers. I think making a committment to senior soldiership is important, and can be an amazing decision for an individual...we just need to be careful about how we say and do certain things.
The Salvation Army's uniform could and CAN be a powerful tool...if we would only use it in the right way.

So there we go...rant over. Feel free to disagree (I probably will at some point...I'm always adapting my ideas) and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!! I found your blog on cals, hope you don't mind!!! I like that blog and I agree. I personally have felt ignored and forgotten just because I never felt God telling me to become a solider. Although I love the army and even the uniform for the reason it's there I don't believe it's God's will for every single christian out there. I could be wrong but I feel like just because I didn't become a s.solider, even though I attended the army when I could and called even now still call it my home church not many people would speak to me (admitally I probably didn't make much of an effort with a lot etiher) but even now those who did bother with me, because I felt God telling me to go work with two different churches for the last two years, even my officers have forgotten who I am even though I try my best to try to contact them i'm ignored! Weather it's because i'm not in uniform who knows but conserding they filled out my application and our home church are meant to be a big part in supporting us, confuses me!! Still I have no hang ups but I do believe it's still a issue which makes me sad!!!!!! haha ok you can delete this comment after you read it :D

*Holly* said...

Hey, thats totally fine!! I hate the fact that people are often treated as second class because they arent soldiers...personally i dont think that it makes you a better christian to wear a uniform or any of that crap! in some ways, it makes people less bothered about trying to be better people, cause they just rely on the uniform. thanks for your comment Mel! Hope you're good.